Thursday, May 1, 2008

About Sunday Soup

onion_sma0050.jpgMy all time favorite books are from the Betsy-Tacy series. Starting when Betsy is in high school, they have a thing called Sunday Lunch. Every Sunday evening (I know? Lunch in the evening?) they open their house to friends and family. Mr. Ray makes sandwiches out of leftover Sunday pot roast or chicken, and if there isn’t anything left, then he makes sandwiches out of Bermuda onions, salt, & pepper. There is strong coffee and sometimes a cake made by Anna or Mrs. Ray (but not always). Julia plays the piano and everyone gathers around and sings, or they just chat (and flirt…the girls are in high school so the place is overrun with boys) and visit.

All my life, I have dreamed of having both a house and friends so I could have Sunday Lunch at my house. Recently we moved to a small town and in this very friendly community, we have met so many wonderful people that we felt it was time to indulge in my Betsy Ray dream. On the first Sunday in May, we had our very first Sunday Soup. We’ve taken some liberties. First of all, it’s called Sunday Soup because being vegetarian, there really isn’t any after-church pot roast for sandwiches (And onion sandwiches? Ooooh! Ick!), so I’m making a different soup and fresh bread each week. And secondly, we dropped the “lunch” phrasing because we didn’t want anyone coming at noon, which is what lunch means to us west coasters. Lastly, we don’t have a piano, but there were guitars that first Sunday, and other friends sing, play the upright bass, dobro, and trombone, so you never know what will happen of a Sunday evening around here at Casa Bon Chance!

I’m one step closer to my lifelong dream of being Betsy Ray! Haha! Check back weekly for an update on Sunday Soup, what we had, who was there, how it evolves. Since almost all my soups are either recipes I've made up, or recipes I've significantly changed, I will share a recipe occasionally too. Welcome to Sunday Soup!

No comments: