Sunday, August 22, 2010

Drop that egg!

Today we had egg drop soup with New Zealand spinach that I picked out of the garden this morning. It's best freshly made, so I had hot stock on hand and then had all the other ingredients ready and I made four bowls at a time as people wanted them. It's quite easy and fun to make. You can find the recipe here. Obviously, I used vegetable stock, not chicken stock because this is a vegetarian house.

The Southerner was away for ten days, but got here just a few minutes past four o'clock, so he was in time to visit with everyone and tell us about his trip to bicycle mechanic school in Ashland, Oregon. He's now passed out on the couch, resting up for bedtime (after riding over to the garden to make sure I didn't kill it while he was gone...I mean, to check on its progress).

All in all, a very nice Sunday Soup today. Although, we do have an unusual number of wasps (or yellow jackets, depending on where you're from) on the sunny porch, and it was too cold to sit on the shady porch, so we did have to stay inside. It wasn't that warm though anyway. Fall is already in the air.

By the way, if you're wondering why there wasn't a post last week, it's because only The Neighbour showed up and while our conversation was scintillating, and we actually had a seven course meal, starting with fresh vegetable soup and ending with raspberry mousse in chocolate cups, I was too full to write about it. I'm sorry y'all missed it though. That'll teach you to skip Sunday Soup just because it's 34 degrees outside (that's 93.2 for you Yanks).

No comments: