Saturday, June 21, 2008

Tomato Orange Soup Recipe

This week's soup is Tomato Orange. It's a pretty fabulous recipe and we refer to it as "butter soup" because four servings has a whole stick of butter in it. This time, I am making a batch that is 6 x the recipe. Seriously. I am making so much for a few reasons. The first is that it's a thin soup. The second is that it is a DELICIOUS soup. And the third is that I invited extra people this week, my neighbour invited extra people, and The Southerner invited extra people for tomorrow. And if no one comes, we'll happily freeze and enjoy for a long time to come!

Because this is not my own (secret) recipe, I'm going to publish it here for your enjoyment. Also, I will follow it with a few changes I've made.

Tomato Orange Soup
4 servings

2 14.5 oz cans unsalted diced tomatoes (I often just use a 28 oz. can and don't worry about the salt)

½ cup unsalted butter (1 stick)

½ medium onion, diced

1 tsp kosher salt

½ tsp pepper

¼ tsp baking soda

½ tsp dried thyme

1 cup fresh orange juice

½ cup whipping cream

In a saucepan, melt butter, add onion and sauté until translucent. Add tomatoes, salt, pepper, baking soda and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered about 15 minutes, or until slightly thickened.

Puree in food processor or blender; strain through a sieve or food mill. Return to saucepan and stir in orange juice and cream. Bring to a simmer and adjust seasonings if necessary. Serve hot.

If you use tomatoes with salt, reduce or eliminate salt.

Elephants Delicatessen, Portland OR November 15, 1994

Now for my notes: The recipe doesn't say whether you should drain the tomatoes or not. Usually I do, but this time I didn't and it was fine and it gives you a bit more soup for your buck.

I have made this with thyme every time I've made this, but my poor plant needs to grow some before I harvest anymore of it. At the market today I got a lovely bunch of basil, so today I subbed fresh basil. It turned out lovely. I'll use some for garnish tomorrow too.

Also, because I was making so much, and I'm not rich, I only used a pound of butter (instead of a pound and a half) and then added 2/3 cup of olive oil. The Southerner and I agreed that next time I make it for us, I will try reducing butter & adding a bit of olive oil and that we think it will work just fine and make it a little healthier.

I used 1/2&1/2 instead of whipping cream, but mostly because I had some in the fridge. I think I've made it both ways.

Oh, and the last thing is that I used my boat motor blender thingie and I didn't bother to strain it. I have strained it most times before and it's always a pain and I feel like you lose so much of the body of the soup. We like it a little bulkier.

The bread for tomorrow is by special request, The Southerner's cornbread, which means I'm off the hook for bread this week!

No comments: