Monday, July 21, 2008

Egg Drop & Kick

Sunday Soup was really fun yesterday! The some-assembly-required soup was a big hit, and also worked out perfectly as we only had four guests (plus me and The Southerner) and they came in stages, so I was able to make three batches of fresh soup, as needed.

I made a Spinach Egg Drop Soup. I got the recipe from Southern Living, but I highly doubt it is a southern recipe! I think it's more likely a Japanese recipe. I think this, not because I am a culinary expert, but because I once had soup a lot like it in a Japanese restaurant.

Here's the recipe:

6 cups fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 green onions, chopped
2 cups fresh spinach

Bring broth to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer. Slowly add egg, stirring constantly, until egg forms lacy strands. Immediately remove from heat. Let stand 1 minute. Stir in soy sauce, sugar, and green onions. Place spinach in bowls; ladle soup over spinach. Serve immediately.


Now, as promised, I did not use chickens or chicken stock. On Saturday I made a big pot of lovely vegetable stock and I kept it simmering on the stove during SS yesterday and then just ladled stock into another saucepan and made small batches. I just realized, as I was looking at the recipe, that the first batch only had half as much stock in it as it was supposed to! I used my ladle and put in six ladles and it's only half a cup ladle! Oh, well. The Southerner and Carol and I ate it and it still tasted great. I wonder if Carol noticed that the second bowl she had was different? I know The Southerner didn't!

The Drop Kick in the subject line refers to the cats' activities. Carol and I looked on with dismay, but The Southerner found the whole thing very amusing! I guess since no one was hurt, he probably has the right idea. At one point, Calvin wandered into the house where Grinder was hiding from him. Carol and I only heard the yowls, but The Southerner watched the whole thing...the whole thing being Grinder flying into the kitchen backwards as if someone (that someone would be grey and large) had drop kicked him. We figure Calvin was simply inspired by my soup and couldn't help himself. Just for the record, we have never seen Calvin or Grinder touch each other! It's just a bit of a stand-off with a few growls. Calvin is ALWAYS welcome at our house and we like that he comes to SS with his mama!

I hope y'all had a wonderful Sunday. And if anyone decides to add Sunday Soup to their own itineraries or start a SS co-op with friends, do let me know! I've adjusted the comments so anyone can leave one now and you don't have to have an LJ identity. Also, if anyone knows how to add a counter to this site (I know it can be done, but no one can explain it to me in understandable English), I'll pay you in soup!

Cheers and happy eating!

No comments: